Sunday 13 February 2011

Last June in Eastbourne

As I don't often cover the east of the region, I thought today's blog entry could include a number of photos from the my trip to Eastbourne last summer. Eastbourne Buses and the Cavendish operations had not been under the management of Stagecoach for very long, and although my visit was for only an hour and I had a dodgy camera which wouldn't photograph a moving bus, I had a good time getting some interesting shots. I was spending the day photographing buses in Brighton, having travelled down on one of Southern's class 377 trains. A 170 then took me further up the coast to Eastbourne, where I found the following... all photos taken on 4th June 2010.

First up, a reminder of the old. Here is Dennis Dart SLF/Marshall R772LHP still wearing the old Eastbourne Buses colours. Numbered 33315 in the Stagecoach scheme, here it heads out of Eastbourne town centre out of service. This bus now wears Stagecoach colours.

A few of the Marshall bodied Dart SLFs had received Stagecoach colours, as illustrated by 33317 (S46BVC) - another acquired from Eastbourne Buses. Here it is pictured heading for the town centre while operating route 10.


Even before the takeover, Stagecoach East Kent had a minor presence in the town, operating route 99 to Hastings. Here is Scania 15489 (GN09BBJ), branded for the Wave services 100, 101 and 102 rather than the 99 into Eastbourne.

My favourite modern single decker is the MAN 14.220/MCV Evolution as I think they look fantastic- and a bit different to the ordinary bus. I also don't have any in service anywhere round my way (middle of Southern Hampshire), so they are always a bit of a novelty when I manage to photograph them. Stagecoach in Eastbourne operate a number primarily on the "Loop" route in the town - illustrated here firstly by 39637 (AE06XRV) and secondly by 39640 (AE56LWD). Like many buses, they suit the Stagecoach livery in my opinion and both buses look fantastic in the June sunshine. Both are pictured on the Loop route, albeit heading in different directions along it. 

Stagecoach in East Kent transferred a number of Dennis Tridents with ALX400 bodywork in to Eastbourne following takeover of the two companies, after they were displaced by Enviro arrivals. Here is 18174 (GX54DVT), strangely on usually MAN operated Loop route.
Stagecoach's first major investment in Eastbourne were a number of Enviro300 saloons - bought in to operate main route 1. These buses displaced some of the existing fleet to neighbouring Stagecoach companies, and gave the company an immediate image, identity and symbol of investment in the town following takeover.
Finally for today, here is one more image of the past. This time it is Dennis Dart SLF 33318 (S835DPN), pictured out of service in Eastbourne's high street. 33318 carried an allover advert for a Vauxhall dealers - I believe this bus still operates in the town but it has been repainted into Stagecoach colours.

No comments:

Post a Comment