Sunday 14 October 2012

Sunday Lost Scenes - Sunday 14th October

With the launch of First's first commercial route into Hythe this week, I thought I'd take the time to remember an old favourite...

First Hants & Dorset 34990 - E290HRV - Hythe (Ferry Yard) - 14th September 2007

In 1987, Southampton Citybus purchased two East Lancashire bodied Leyland Olympians. Fitted with coach seats, the buses were primarily allocated to the X27/X47 Portsmouth - Southampton service, Redline coach-style services, and standard service work. For their entire history, the two buses - E289HRV and E290HRV - have always been special.

The only time I ever caught one in service was in Hythe on an Asda bus service. It had just been repainted into First livery, from the previous First Southampton red livery. The dot-matrix-style electronic number display had been a feature of the bus since it was new. The coach seats were still in place, and, having ridden one of these, I can say they were very comfortable buses. 

They were two buses I just couldn't photograph. I once found E289HRV heading through Portswood on a route 3 - the only time in all my years in Southampton I saw one - and I couldn't get the camera out quick enough. The sun was perfect, too...

Hythe's new route - the Watersider - brings state of the art Volvo B7RLEs to the Hampshire town. The Watersider Volvo B7RLEs were new to West Yorkshire in 2007, but have also seen service in Plymouth as Ugobuses. I hope to bring you photos of these buses over the next few weeks.

1 comment:

  1. E289 HRV is still in service with Xelabus of Eastleigh and looks superb in their livery

    ReplyDelete