Sunday 13 March 2011

The Joys of Online Publishing

Its now day 5 without fotopic, and I think I've only just realised how central it was to my online activities. I used to browse my fotopic site for inspiration to post blog entries - and that was also my supply of photos. Due to space on the hard-drive, I've only got photos from 2008 online. Furthermore, it has just dawned on me that all of the links to photos on my First Hants & Dorset website are now inactive and that will require sorting over the next few days if fotopic doesn't come up.

Now I'm betting that this is a server error - there is nothing coming up in the national news saying another company has gone under, and one would expect that if such were true there would have been something to come out from the wall of silence. Therefore, if it is a server/technical error, how long do we wait until going somewhere else? Baring in mind this may happen again, or the next time fotopic may really go under, I'm beginning to rethink if I want most of my eggs in the fotopic basket.

From tomorrow evening I'm going to start retransferring 2003-2007 photos back on my PC. If fotopic doesn't return by next weekend, then my loyalty is then cut and I may make changes to my freewebs site. I'm not sure if I want to go on pikfu - Joel says it is going to be very different from fotopic - when all I really want is a reliable Joel-run fotopic back.


I'm not sure how I'll make changes to my website yet. The above was one of my ideas from 2006-7 when I did think about ditching fotopic (or at least my First photos) and moving them all over to freewebs. We'll have to see. I hope fotopic starts working again as I don't want to have to re-create my site somewhere else - and also if it does, it gives the oppurtunity of a long period of transfer rather than a potentially rushed job.

As I upload my photos from past years over the next few days, there will either be a rush of photos or nothing for the next few days. Please bare with me - this blog is here still.

On a more positive note, please visit Matt Forbes' new blog here or Ant Poulton's new blog here - I wish them every success as their blog grows.

No comments:

Post a Comment